Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Workshop held to validate the priority action plan for the stabilisation of Ituri

Previous article | Next
MONUC - May 13, 2008

The technical validation of the
İP. Paglialonga/Monuc
The technical validation of the "Priority Action Plan for the Stabilisation and Community Reconstruction of Ituri" took place on Thursday 8 May 2008 in Bunia, Ituri district, during a workshop chaired by Mr. François Xavier Kubele Nesele, provincial Minister for planning, budget, trade, industry, and small and medium-sized enterprises.

This participative process held by the divisions and engineering services of the Congolese state went ahead with the support of MONUC, the UNDP, UN agencies, and with the participation of local actors such as civil society, NGOs and community representatives.

The workshop participants made the last amendments to the document concerning the five priority sectors identified last March for the Ituri community reconstruction plan. These are: security; education; health; transport and communication; and agriculture animal breeding and fishing.

The development of these priority actions will contribute to address the factors of instability and the resurgence of conflict, previously identified by these same actors.

The workshop proceeded according to a methodology which privileged the active participation of development actors, community representatives and the experts from various state engineering services, at both district and territorial levels.

After work in committee, each group proceeded to a series of follow up debates.

The Priority Action Plan will have to be endorsed by the Parliament and the Provincial government before presentation to donors, scheduled for the end of May in Kinshasa.

UNDP Ituri head Jonas Mfouatie said: “we have started a participative consensus on the priority needs for stabilisation and reconstruction in Ituri, having taken into account all the effective national measures.”

“This instrument will be for us a whole a tool of advocacy, of mobilisation of resources and of programming of our respective activities, which will align themselves from now on to the confirmed priorities of the communities of Ituri.”

It should be recalled that in 2007, the process of pacification and security reached its first milestone with the dismantling of all the militia through the demobilization of more than 25,000 combatants and 10,000 children associated with armed forces and groups, within the framework of the three phase programme of Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR).

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has so far confirmed the return to their communities of origin of more than 900,000 people in Ituri.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  17. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  18. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  19. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  20. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  21. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  22. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  23. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  24. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  25. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  26. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  27. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  28. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  29. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.