|Congolese Rebels Refuse to Disarm as Deadline Nears|
VOA News - October 14, 2007
Rebels in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo are refusing to disband and disarm, one day before a deadline set by President Joseph Kabila.
|Kabila in Goma ahead of Government Ultimatum for Rebels to Disarm|
Congo News Agency - October 14, 2007
|Kabila arrived Sunday in the Nord-Kivu province capital of Goma a day ahead of an ultimatum to rebels loyal to renegade general Laurent Nkunda to disarm or face a new offensive by the Congolese armed forces (FARDC). Kabila arrived in Goma at 9:30 local time accompanied by the defense minister, the army chief of staff and the minister of humanitarian affairs.|
|MONUC: Our number one concern is that a fast solution is found to the crisis|
MONUC - October 12, 2007
|The situation in eastern DRC, particularly in North Kivu, was marked by several confrontations in the last week, between the DRC Armed Forces (FARDC) and the troops of ex General Laurent Nkunda. We interviewed MONUC force commander General Babacar Gaye who explained the situation on the ground, and the measures taken by MONUC to protect the population.|
|Congolese Rebel Leader Seeks Peace|
VOA News - October 11, 2007
A renegade Congolese general who shattered a U.N.-mediated ceasefire earlier this week has performed a hasty turnaround, demanding a halt to the violence that has killed dozens of his men.
|Renegade Congo General Promises to Keep Fighting|
VOA News - October 10, 2007
|A renegade general in eastern Congo says government forces have launched new attacks on his positions and that he has no choice but to keep fighting until the government listens to him and lets him rejoin the army.|
|DRC Rebel Leader Accuses Government of Breaking Ceasefire Agreement|
VOA News - October 9, 2007
In the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the leader of the rebel National Congress for the People's Defense, General Laurent Nkunda has dismissed as propaganda government reports that he broke the over a month old ceasefire agreement. Nkunda said his forces were the first to be attacked by government soldiers, before his group returned fire. He said he had instructed his forces to be in active defense, but not to go on the offensive against government troops, unless they are attacked. Nkunda is now accusing the government of trying to plunge the country into war.
|More displaced as insecurity persists in North Kivu|
IRIN - October 9, 2007
|A new wave of displaced civilians is on the move in the North Kivu province of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo as dissident general Laurent Nkunda announced a ceasefire with government troops was broken.|
|Sexual Brutality Accompanies War in Congo|
VOA News - October 8, 2007
The United Nations says the prevalence of sexual violence in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo is the worst in the world. Since fighting erupted in the region six weeks ago between rebels and the Congolese army, women in eastern Congo say sexual brutality has risen to new heights.
|Ceasefire Breaking Down: Deadly Combat in DRC|
VOA News - October 8, 2007
Renegade general Laurent Nkunda says his rebel forces are abandoning a U.N.-mediated ceasefire with the Congolese government. Congo's defense minister says the government wants to use dialogue to solve the crisis in eastern DRC, but rebel forces say they have been repeatedly attacked by army troops in recent days.
|Violence cuts off 150,000 people from aid - WFP|
IRIN - October 8, 2007
|Chronic violence in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has cut 150,000 vulnerable people off from humanitarian aid, deepening an already severe crisis, according to the UN World Food Programme (WFP).|