Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN inquiry opens into sexual abuse allegations against peacekeeper

Previous article | Next

UN News - November 19, 2007

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) announced today that an independent investigation has begun into allegations of violent sexual abuse by a soldier serving with the force in the troubled northeast of the country. The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) announced today that an independent investigation has begun into allegations of violent sexual abuse by a soldier serving with the force in the troubled northeast of the country.

Investigators from the UN Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) are already on the ground in Bunia, the capital of Ituri district, to conduct the probe, according to a press release issued by the mission (known as MONUC).

A MONUC peacekeeper based in Bunia is accused of violence and sexual exploitation and abuse against a woman on the night of 13-14 November.

“All allegations of this nature are taken very seriously by the mission,” the press statement said, stressing that OIOS investigators would receive the complete cooperation of MONUC in conducting their inquiries.

The UN has imposed a zero-tolerance policy against sexual abuse and exploitation by its peacekeepers, and senior officials have reiterated in recent years that this means there is no impunity for blue helmets who engage in such practices.

MONUC, which was established in late 1999, is one of the largest UN peacekeeping missions in the world. As of the end of last month, it had 18,382 serving personnel, including more than 16,000 troops.


Related articles


  1. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  2. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  5. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  6. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  7. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  8. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  9. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  10. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  11. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  12. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  13. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  14. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  15. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  16. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  17. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  18. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  19. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  20. Gunmen attack anti-rape doctor Denis Mukwege (October 26, 2012)
  21. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  22. Thomas Lubanga sentenced to 14 years (July 10, 2012)
  23. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)
  24. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  25. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  26. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  27. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  28. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  29. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  30. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.