|Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels
VOA News - January 28, 2016
|Democratic Republic of Congo's army and U.N. peacekeepers agreed Thursday to resume military cooperation against Rwandan Hutu rebels, the U.N. mission said, beefing up efforts to root out one of the region's most notorious rebel groups.
|Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections
UN News Centre - October 7, 2015
|The top United Nations official in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) told the UN Security Council today that he cannot say with certainty whether the progress attained in the country is sustainable, or whether violence will erupt again and reverse what has been achieved so far.
|UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo
Nick Long/VOA News - May 14, 2015
|A U.N. human rights official said this week that Ugandan Islamist ADF rebels were mainly responsible for the summary executions of at least 237 civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo between October and December last year. The killings were among more than 300 that have occurred since October in a series of attacks on civilians in Beni territory.
|DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR
Nick Long/VOA News - April 1, 2015
|Democratic Republic of Congo government forces, which launched an offensive against FDLR rebels in the east of the country a month ago, has been successful in driving the militants out of parts of North and South Kivu provinces, Congolese army spokesman General Leon Richard Kasonga said.
|ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga
ICC - December 1, 2014
|The Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Court (ICC) delivered, in open session, its judgments on Mr Lubanga's appeal against the verdict issued by ICC Trial Chamber I, that Mr Lubanga was guilty of the enlistment, conscription and use in hostilities of children under the age of fifteen.
|ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens
VOA News - November 12, 2014
|The four-year-long trial of former Congolese Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba is finally wrapping up in The Hague. But the story is not over. ICC judges want another trial, this time targeting both Bemba and his legal team for allegedly tampering with justice.
|Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe
VOA News - August 15, 2014
|Preparations are almost complete ahead of the Southern African Development Community’s (SADC) heads of state summit scheduled next week in Zimbabwe, according to Tanki Mothae, SADC Director of Politics, Defense and Security Cooperation.
|ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda
ICC - June 10, 2014
|Based on the evidence submitted to its consideration, Pre-Trial Chamber II of the ICC found that there was a widespread and systematic attack against the civilian population pursuant to an organisational policy adopted to attack civilians perceived to be non-Hema, such as those belonging to Lendu, Bira and Nande ethnic groups.
|Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution
VOA News - May 4, 2014
|U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is calling on Congolese President Joseph Kabila to respect his country's constitution and not run for a third term. The U.S. is pledging additional funding for elections and for helping to demobilize fighters in eastern provinces.
|Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year
UN News Center - March 28, 2014
|The Security Council today extended for one year the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) – along with its Intervention Brigade – noting the need for the Mission to strengthen its support so the Congolese Government can address security challenges in line with the aims of a regional peace and security accord.