Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Congolese Soldiers on Trial for War Crimes

Previous article | Next
VOA News - December 28, 2006

Bavier report (Real Audio) - Download 218K audio clip
Listen to Bavier report (Real Audio) audio clip

A group of Congolese soldiers is on trial for war crimes allegedly committed in the country's volatile east. U.N. investigators last month discovered mass graves containing around 30 bodies, including women and children, inside an army camp. Joe Bavier has more for VOA from Kinshasa.

The 14 defendants were based in Bavi, 40 kilometers south of Bunia, the capital of the troubled Ituri district. A U.N. human rights team found the bodies in late November in three mass graves, which appeared to have been dug recently.

Only 10 of the defendants appeared in court on Wednesday. The four others were never arrested, and the head of the five-member military tribunal, Major Innocent Mayembe, said they are in hiding and would be tried in absentia.

All are being charged with murder as a war crime, and could face life in prison if convicted.

Violence Has Marked Campaign Period in the DRC
Violence Has Marked Campaign Period in the DRC
The U.N. said in November it believed the victims disappeared during army operations against local militia in late August or early September, meaning the killings took place in the run-up to Congo's October 29 presidential run-off election.

The elections were the first free polls in more than 40 years in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and were meant to draw a line under a 1998 to 2003 civil war that left an estimated four million Congolese dead.

At the trial, attorneys from the international legal aid organization, Lawyers Without Borders, are to represent the victims. Proceedings were adjourned until January 2, to allow them time to prepare.

Human rights organizations have applauded the opening of the trial, but they say most abuses continue to go unpunished.

Congolese government forces have frequently been accused of human rights abuses, particularly during operations to pacify Congo's east, which has continued to witness sporadic violence in the three years since the signing of a national peace deal.

Abuses documented by Human Rights Watch include killings, summary executions, torture, rape and the destruction of villages.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  7. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  8. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  9. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  10. DR Congo Will Not Negotiate With M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 19, 2012)
  11. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  12. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  13. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  14. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  15. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  16. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  17. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  18. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  19. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  20. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  21. Case of UN Employee Caught Smuggling Minerals Not Unique (August 25, 2011)
  22. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  23. Germany: Groundbreaking Trial for Congo War Crimes (May 2, 2011)
  24. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  25. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  26. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  27. Report: Uganda LRA rebels 'on massive forced recruitment drive' (August 12, 2010)
  28. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  29. Huge DR Congo gold mine to open, displacing 15,000 (July 22, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.