Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice

Previous article | Next

Congo News Agency - April 6, 2012

Bosco Ntaganda
Bosco Ntaganda
The Congolese government said on Thursday that “irregular troop movements” have been observed in North and South Kivu provinces since last weekend.

In a statement released to the press, interim Information Minister and government spokesman Muyej Mangeze said that “undisciplined troops had erected barricades unauthorized by the military hierarchy, thereby disrupting public order and the tranquility of the population in some places.”

The government said it was following the situation “very closely” and called on those responsible to “refrain from acts that could expose them to the rigors of justice, both nationally and internationally.”

Although not named directly in the statement, the troops are said to be under the command of General Bosco Ntaganda, a former CNDP rebel leader who was integrated into the Congolese Armed Forces as part of a peace deal.

A former member of the Rwandan army, Bosco Ntaganda became the commander of the CNDP rebel group after Congolese and Rwandan authorities struck a deal that led to the arrest of warlord Laurent Nkunda in 2009. Rwanda is known to have supported the CNDP in its proxy fight against the Rwandan FDLR rebels based in eastern Congo.

Bosco Ntaganda, also known as “The Terminator”, was indicted by the International Criminal Court in 2006. The ICC said there were reasonable grounds to believe he used child soliders in the Ituri conflict, in north-eastern DR Congo, as a commander in the FPLC milita group between 2002 and 2003.

The troop movements are believed to be a show of force by General Ntaganda amid renewed calls for his arrest after his former boss in the FPLC, Thomas Lubanga, was convicted by the ICC on March 14. Former CNDP rebels integrated into the Congolese army are said to have left their units, taking ammunition and other military equipments with them.

Accused of supporting impunity, the Congolese government has argued that it has cooperated with the ICC by arresting and sending Thomas Lubanga, Mathieu Ngudjolo and Germain Katanga to the court. It has so far resisted arresting Bosco Ntaganda, saying his arrest may cause more harm than good.

President Joseph Kabila said during a news conference last October that in Ntaganda's case, peace trumpets all other considerations.

Seshike Uze MmolediApr 9, 2012 03:03
I think if he Ntangada is integrated in the Army as a general, so then let him be patriotic to the government as he receives his salary from the government and as part of government high profile list of members representing the sate so let him just be reasonable and work for advancement of peace in Congo rather than destroying it.

Related articles


  1. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  2. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  5. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  6. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  9. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  10. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  11. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  13. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  14. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  17. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  18. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  19. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  20. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  21. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  22. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  23. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  24. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  25. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  26. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  27. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  28. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  29. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  30. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.