Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Tshisekedi Denies Telling Supporters to Use Violence

Previous article | Next

Congo News Agency - November 19, 2011

Etienne Tshisekedi campaigns in Bukavu, South Kivu
Etienne Tshisekedi in Bukavu, South Kivu (Photo: Nicolas Pinault/VOA) | Enlarge
During an interview with the French service of the Voice of America on Thursday, Etienne Tshisekedi denied telling his supporters to use violence last week. The presidential candidate repeated his claim that he is the current president of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Mr. Tshisekedi told VOA reporter Nicolas Pinault in Bukavu, South Kivu Province, that he “did not call, as it’s been said, for violence.” Rather, he said, the statements were meant to urge the Congolese people to “mobilize” and “take their responsibility.”

“I did not ask the people to take up arms… Our people have the right to use the only power they have, mobilization.”

Mr. Tshisekedi said that the authorities have “killed, tortured, and arrested. In one month, they have killed seven of our fighters protesting peacefully on the June 30th Boulevard … Now, look. That, the international community, no one, has said anything about it.”

“I did, of course, use the words ‘break things’. But what does it mean when someone says ‘break a jail’, compared to the people who have been killed in mass in the country?”

Mr. Tshisekedi said that he has no regrets over the way his statements have been “interpreted.” “I am ready to repeat them, if they do it again.” “I don’t regret anything, but I’m amused when the international community says nothing about our dead and then says that I am inciting to violence.”

Mr. Tshisekedi said that the presidential election must take place as scheduled on November 28 because President Kabila’s term ends on December 6. “The date must be respected. Otherwise, the people could rise up.” Ready or not, “the Independent National Electoral Commission has no choice.”

Mr. Tshisekedi said that, although he is not “pleased” with the way the elections are being organized, he will abide by the will of the people if he does win the presidential election and “it is proven that they have not been rigged.”

His priority, if elected, will be security. “We will start with building a truly national army. Since independence, we have only had militias.”

Mr. Tshisekedi said that, after being elected and putting in place democratic institutions, he will “hold a big ceremony” to thank the United Nations mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO) “for their service.” “I think that there are many other countries where they are enormously needed and where they can go and be of service.”

Asked who is the current president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mr. Tshisekedi replied “It’s me. It’s me. I have been named president of the Democratic Republic of Congo by our people. It’s me."

Mr. Tshisekedi called President Kabila the “biggest thief in the world” who “has stolen in 10 years more than Mobutu did in 30 years.”



Related articles


  1. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  2. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  3. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  4. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  5. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  8. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  9. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  10. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  11. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  12. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  13. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  14. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  16. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  17. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  18. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  19. UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)
  20. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  21. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  22. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  24. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  25. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  26. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  27. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  28. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  29. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  30. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.