Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election

Previous article | Next

Congo News Agency - October 18, 2011

Joseph Kabila holds rare news conference
With only 6 weeks left before presidential and parliamentary elections, President Kabila, at a wide-ranging news conference on Tuesday, said that he is confident he will win re-election in November.

“I know one thing for sure, I will not lose,” Mr. Kabila replied when asked if he thinks there is a candidate who could beat him.

Using humor to address the failure of opposition parties to name a joint candidate for the one-round presidential election, he said that his opponents were welcome to come to him for help. "They can call me, I'm a good mediator. United or not, the opposition will lose.”

Mr. Kabila said that there was no need to doubt that the elections will take place on November 28 because the Independent National Electoral Commission has repeatedly said it will be ready on time.

The president said that there are no ongoing discussions between him and the opposition, or the civil society, on forming a transitional government in case the elections were not held in the period allowed by the Constitution.

He reminded reporters that even in 2006 there were those who said that the Democratic Republic of Congo, after years of wars that resulted in a transitional government, was not ready to hold its first democratic elections in 40 years.

“The Congolese people deserve better, they deserve stability. If the INEC says it will be ready on November 28, then let’s go, let’s hold the elections. That doesn’t mean that we can’t have a dialogue on how to hold peaceful elections.”, Mr. Kabila said.

Asked if he will run again in 2016, the president said that the Constitution only allows for two terms in office.

Reporters used the nearly three-hour news conference, a rare event for a president who barely talks to the press, to ask questions on a host of issues.

The president said that there are ongoing contacts with the rebel FDLR for its members to disarm and be repatriated to Rwanda and not for their relocation to Maniema Province as some reports have suggested.

Mr. Kabila said that the position of the Congolese government remains that Rwanda should extradite former warlord Laurent Nkunda so he can face justice in DR Congo.

Regarding the case of former CNDP commander Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court and said to be roaming freely in North Kivu Province, the president said that peace trumpets all other considerations.

President Kabila said that he was surprised that so much was made of his claim that judges make 1,600$ during a speech he gave last month touting his record. Arguing that the focus on the claim was misguided, he said that the government set the judges’ salary at 1,600$ in 2010 but there had been problems in the implementation of the decision. He added that judges should earn even more as the country’s economy improves.

Mr. Kabila said that some of his critics fail to mention that the country’s problems did not start when he came to power in January 2001. He said that a lot has been accomplished since then.

The president said that the government is working on improving the social conditions of the population, the health and education sectors, the business climate, and routing out corruption. He reminded his audience that work on his flagship infrastructure and modernization plan, known as the 5 Chantiers, only began in late 2008.

President Kabila argued that his record should not only be viewed in light of where the country is now but also where it was when he came to power.

“We lost 40 years. We are now trying to catch up,”


On the web: Congo News Agency | Source: presidentrdc.cd

GuestMay 26, 2012 05:07
Why don't you ask Kabila to tell us how much he has made since he took office?

Related articles


  1. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  2. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  3. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  4. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  5. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  6. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  7. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  8. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  14. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  15. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  16. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  17. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  18. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  19. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  20. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  21. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  22. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  23. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  24. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  25. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  26. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  27. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  28. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  29. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  30. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.