Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims

Previous article | Next

BBC News - September 7, 2010

Atul Khare

UN peacekeepers have "failed" the victims of mass rape in eastern DR Congo, a senior UN official has said.

Atul Khare told the Security Council that the scale of systematic rape by armed rebels was far worse than feared.

He said that up to 500 women and children were now believed raped in recent weeks - more than double the previously reported figure.

He called for the prosecution of Rwandan and Congolese rebels who are blamed for many of the attacks.

"At the same time a concerted response from the government, from the international community is needed to maintain pressure on the perpetrators of these rapes and to bring them to justice," he told the BBC's World Today programme.

Mr Khare, UN Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping, was sent to DR Congo by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to investigate the attacks in July and August.

He reported to the Security Council that although 242 rapes had earlier been reported in and around Luvungi, a village not far from a UN peacekeepers' camp, 260 more rapes had come to light in the Uvira area and other regions of North and South Kivu.

Mr Khare said he had learned of 74 attacks in a village called Miki, in South Kivu. The victims included 21 children - all girls aged between seven and 15 - and six men.

All the women in another village, Kiluma, may have been systematically raped, he said.

"While the primary responsibility for protection of civilians lies with the state, its national army and police force, clearly, we have also failed," he said.

"Our actions were not adequate, resulting in acceptable brutalisation of the population of the villages in the area. We must do better."

Night patrols

"Graphic examples were provided to me by the victims themselves when I met them in Luvungi and in other parts where I travelled. And I must say that this is why I feel that we have a responsibility, we owe a responsibility to the victims to make their lives better but also we owe them the responsibility of making DRC better," Mr Khare told the BBC.

Mr Khare and the UN's special envoy on sexual violence, Margot Wallstrom, suggested that Rwandan Hutu FDLR rebel chiefs might be among those responsible for organising the rapes in Luvungi.

"I would recommend... for consideration by the (Security) Council, imposition of targeted sanctions on the leaders of the FDLR, both within and outside the country, if a chain of command is proven," Mr Khare said.

He added that UN peacekeepers will make more night patrols and perform more random checks on communities.

Mr Khare said the UN was also looking into ways of providing peacekeepers with mobile phones by installing a high frequency radio in Luvungi.

The BBC's Thomas Hubert, in Goma, said the Congolese government was pleased to see the UN shoulder some of the responsibility for failing to stop human rights abuses, but disappointed that there was no stronger commitment to tackle rebel groups.

Government spokesman Lamert Mende called on the UN to support its national army more directly against the militias.

He urged peacekeepers to "do the dirty work" and "move to the front".

The latest mass rapes - during July and August - were first reported by the International Medical Corps, which treated many of the victims.

Mr Ban sent his envoys to the country to learn why UN peacekeepers had apparently been unaware of the attacks.

DR Congo has a shocking reputation for sexual violence, and rape is commonly used as a weapon of war.

The UN says at least 8,300 rapes were reported in 2009 and it is believed that many more attacks go unreported.


Related articles


  1. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  2. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  3. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  4. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  5. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  6. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  9. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  10. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  11. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  12. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  14. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  15. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  17. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  18. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  19. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  20. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  21. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  22. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  24. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  25. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  26. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  27. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  28. UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)
  29. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  30. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.