Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action

Previous article | Next

Congo News Agency - August 26, 2010

MONUSCO peacekeepers

The United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) is on the defensive since the NGO International Medical Corps revealed early this week that rebels from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), and members of a local Mai Mai militia, raped at least 154 women in North Kivu, a few kilometers from a MONUSCO base.

MONUSCO primary mission being the protection of civilians, many are wondering how such acts, and on such a scale, could have been committed not far from a MONUSCO base without its peacekeepers intervening to stop them.

The new head of MONUSCO, Roger Meece, addressing reporters in New York via video conference from Goma on Wednesday, said that two patrols of peacekeepers were never told by the population that the rapes were being committed, even though these attacks are said to have lasted over three days.

MONUSCO claims it was only aware that there were rebels in the area and that "this was not unusual, and seemed to resemble nothing that could suggest a possible launch of attacks.” One wonders what MONUSCO thinks when they learn that there are rebels who just invaded an area. Do they think that these rebels are there to play football? Does protecting civilians mean letting them roam around and see what happens? MONUSCO is authorized to use force to protect the population, even if it’s a pre-emptive action. Why did MONUSCO do nothing when it was alerted at the presence of rebels in the area?

The New York Times reports in today’s edition that humanitarians and other members of the UN staff operating in the region received email alerts on July 30, the day the attacks began, warning them of the presence of rebels in the region. The New York Times quotes a United Nations employee who says that these warnings would have been forwarded to the peacekeepers who should then have done everything in their power to protect the population.

With regards to Congolese authorities, who bear the primary responsibility for protecting civilians in the country, they have so far been “missing in action". A deafening silence prevails on these events. You'd think that the authorities would be scrambling for action, or a response, after they learned that more than 150 women were raped in the span of a few days. But no, they seem to be taking their time; it’s inaction, silence,… The public will probably be treated in a few days with another press release announcing the launch of an "investigation", as we have become used to for years (investigations which are never completed and whose results are never made public).

For years, the Congolese authorities have been scrabbling on the problem of armed groups. Nobody knows today what the "solution du jour” will be tomorrow and how many more times we will wake up only to learn (sometimes after weeks) that our children, our sisters and brothers, have been brutalized by these armed groups.

The Palmares reported a few days ago on the atrocities of the FDLR in the region and the insufficient number of Congolese soldiers in the area. While rampant corruption remains the norm amongst our leaders, the soldiers supposed to protect the population are not paid for months, do not receive adequate training, and therefore the military seems unable to settle once and for all the problem of the FDLR and other militia groups operating in the East.

While the authorities want to expel MONUSCO from Congo by the end of next year, they are still unable to protect the population against these barbaric and despicable attacks against civilians by armed groups. It is clear that their “efforts” to eradicate this scourge have so far remained utterly insufficient.


On the web: Congo News Agency


Related articles


  1. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  2. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  3. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  4. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  5. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  6. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  7. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  8. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  11. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  12. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  13. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  14. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  15. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  16. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  17. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  18. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  19. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  21. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  23. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  24. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  25. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  26. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  27. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  28. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  29. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  30. UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.