Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Top UN envoy bids farewell to first batch of blue helmets leaving DR Congo

Previous article | Next

UN News - June 16, 2010

Alan Doss

The top United Nations envoy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today paid tribute to a group of Senegalese blue helmets who are the first batch of peacekeepers to leave the country in line with the recent decision by the Security Council to alter the UN mission there.
The Council last month agreed to transform the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (MONUC) into a stabilization mission in the coming weeks, authorizing the withdrawal of up to 2,000 UN military personnel – from an existing strength of 19,815 – by 30 June from areas where security has improved enough to allow their removal.

It also authorized the new operation, which will be known as the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO), to stay in the country until 30 June 2011.

At a ceremony held in Kisangani in North Kivu province, Alan Doss, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of MONUC, lauded the Senegalese troops for their professionalism and courage, as well as their flexibility to deploy wherever the mission requires.

He also paid tribute to those Senegalese peacekeepers who lost their lives in the DRC since April 2001, when the country first deployed troops to the UN operation.

“This ceremony is a historic moment in the evolution of the United Nations mission in Congo,” Mr. Doss said, noting that it marks the first phase of the reduction of forces as stipulated by the Council.

“However, the work is not finished,” he stated, pledging that the new operation will continue to carry out the vital task of protecting civilians in the country.

Mr. Doss, who is finishing his term as the top UN envoy in DRC at the end of this month, added that any decision to further reduce troop levels by the Security Council will be done in consultation with the Congolese Government and based on assessments of the security situation in sensitive areas.


Related articles


  1. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  2. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  3. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  4. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  5. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  6. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  7. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  8. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  9. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  10. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  11. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  12. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  13. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  14. UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)
  15. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  16. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  17. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  18. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  19. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  20. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  21. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  22. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  23. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  24. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  25. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  26. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  27. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  28. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  29. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  30. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.