Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Back from DR Congo, Security Council set to review mandate of UN force

Previous article | Next

UN News - May 17, 2010

Joseph Kabila with members of the Security Council

Members of the Security Council have wrapped up what they called an “extremely intense” listening tour in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to study options for the future of the United Nations mission there, whose mandate expires at the end of the month.

“We are not here to negotiate and we are not here to talk about withdrawal. We are here to listen to the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo,” Ambassador Gerard Araud of France said following a meeting with Prime Minister Adolphe Muzito.

The Council delegation, led by France, also met with President Joseph Kabila and leaders of the two chambers of Parliament.

“The mission of the Security Council was to begin a dialogue with the authorities, population and civil society of the Democratic Republic of the Congo over the future of the United Nations presence,” Mr. Araud told journalists on Saturday in the capital, Kinshasa.

Noting that substantial progress had been made since deployment of the mission, known as MONUC, in 1999, Mr. Araud added that members “recognize that the situation remains fragile and that therefore any development of the UN presence should be done gently to avoid further instability.”

He said that his delegation and the Congolese leadership have agreed to remain open to further discussions on the reconfiguration of the UN presence in the country.

During their discussions with the Congolese leadership, Mr. Araud said that the Council delegation reiterated the UN’s support for the ongoing security sector reform and the UN policy of zero-tolerance against impunity.

In addition to Government leaders, the Security Council delegation met MONUC’s leadership, the UN Country Team – comprised of UN agencies and programmes active in the country – and members of Congolese civil society.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon recommended in his latest report that the 20,000-strong MONUC force begin a drawdown of troops by 30 June. The Government has proposed a total withdrawal of the peacekeeping forces by 30 August 2011.


Related articles


  1. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  2. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  3. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  4. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  5. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  6. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  7. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  8. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  9. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  10. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  11. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  12. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  13. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  14. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  15. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  16. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  17. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  18. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  19. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  20. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  21. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  22. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  23. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  24. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)
  25. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  26. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  27. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  28. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  29. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  30. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.