Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Ugandan rebels murder, rape, mutilate, displace thousands in DR Congo, Sudan - UN

Previous article | Next

UN News - December 21, 2009

Joseph Kony

In a 10-month rampage of killings, rape and mutilation in neighbouring countries that may constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity, the rebel Ugandan Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), has killed some 1,300 civilians, abducted 1,400 more, including hundreds of children and women, and displaced nearly 300,000 others, the United Nations reported today.

The dozens of attacks in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and southern Sudan by the LRA, notorious for two decades of murderous rampages in its homeland, were detailed in two joint reports by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC) and the UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) respectively, both calling for international action to help halt the slaughter and bring those accountable to trial.

“The brutality employed during the attacks was consistent, deliberate and egregious,” the report on Sudan said, stressing that machetes, axes, knives and hoes were often the preferred weapon and even babies were killed. It cited gruesome witness accounts, including that of a man who “reported discovering the mutilated body of a fellow villager. The villager’s leg had been chopped off, his jaws had been dislocated and his teeth had been pulled out,” it added.

In DRC, where the LRA killed at least 1,200 people, abducted 1,400 and displaced some 230,000 others, dozens of attacks on towns and villages in Orientale province from September 2008 to June 2009, involved mutilations, torture and multiple rapes. Women and girls were often raped before being killed, and many of those who were abducted “were forced to marry LRA members, subjected to sexual slavery, or both,” the report on the DRC said.

People who helped bury the dead in the town of Batande testified to UN human rights staff that a dozen women had been found “their hands tied, clothes torn and legs apart.” In the most devastating wave of synchronized attacks over a period of 24 hours on Christmas Day 2008, in two clusters of locations some 400 kilometres apart, two groups of between 100 and 150 LRA fighters killed at least 477 civilians and abducted hundreds of others.

The LRA was formed in the late 1980s in Uganda and for over 15 years its attacks were mainly directed against Ugandan civilians and security forces, which in 2002 dislodged the rebels, who then exported their rampage to Uganda’s neighbours. The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued arrest warrants for LRA Commander-in-Chief, Joseph Kony, and other senior officers on 33 counts of crimes against humanity and war crimes.

The Christmas massacre followed a MONUC-supported joint military involving the Congolese army (FARDC), Ugandan and Sudanese troops, and the report noted that the terror inflicted by the LRA was compounded by FARDC troops. “Displaced persons were also subjected to harassment, extortion, rape and summary executions committed by the Congolese security forces,” it said, adding that camps sheltering displaced people were also attacked by the LRA, causing further displacement.

The report urges the Congolese Government and its foreign military allies to “conduct a realistic assessment of their capacities to defend and protect civilian populations” and, with assistance from the international community, to implement “a military operation that takes into account the duty to protect civilians.”

It calls on the world community to “assist the DRC to establish a vetting system to improve the quality of its security forces and their ability to protect civilians” and to “cooperate with the ICC in investigating, arresting, and transferring all LRA leaders accused of international crimes.”

According to the report on Sudan, covering the period between December 2008 and March this year, at least 81 civilians were killed, with many others injured, mutilated, raped and abducted, including women and at least 18 children forced to work as child soldiers, sex slaves, porters and spies.

Villages were pillaged, often partly or entirely destroyed, and than 38,000 people were reported to have been displaced within southern Sudan’s Western and Central Equatoria states, near the border with the DRC. LRA groups entered southern Sudan and neighbouring Central African Republic (CAR), after December’s joint offensive against them in DRC, and a further 17,000 people fled into Sudan.

In southern Sudan, numerous witnesses described to UN investigators how the LRA is operating in groups of between five and 20 individuals armed with “bladed weapons” – including machetes, axes, bayonets, knives, hoes, clubs and spears – as well as AK–47 automatic rifles and machine guns.

“In many attacks, they preferred the use of bladed weapons over firearms,” the report said, citing the example of attacks on two villages where “attackers used pangas [machetes], axes, bayonets, hoes and knives on the majority of the victims. They reserved their firearms for those who attempted to escape.”

The LRA attackers “targeted civilians, killing many and causing serious injury without regard for sex, age or ethnicity,” it added, noting that even babies were killed.

The report calls on the international community, including regional governments, to cooperate with the ICC to search for, arrest and hand over the accused LRA leaders. It recommends that UNMIS exercise its protection of civilians mandate to prevent further loss of life and continue monitoring the situation. It also calls on the Government of Southern Sudan to take steps to tackle LRA crimes, as well as to devote adequate resources to ensure effective judicial processes to bring perpetrators to justice.


Related articles


  1. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  2. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  3. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  4. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  5. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  6. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  7. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  8. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  9. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  10. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  11. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  12. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  13. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  14. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  15. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  16. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  17. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  18. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  19. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  20. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  21. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  22. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  23. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  24. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  26. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  27. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  28. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  29. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.