Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Ebola outbreak "contained" - Kabila

Previous article | Next

11:01 AM


Photo: Independent Electoral Commission (CEI)
President Joseph Kabila says the Ebola outbreak has been contained
KINSHASA, 14 September 2007 (IRIN) - Measures have been taken to prevent the spread of Ebola following the deaths of at least 160 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo's southern province of Kasai Occidental during the past two months, President Joseph Kabila said.

"The village of Kampungu [the worst affected] has been quarantined to prevent population movement towards Kananga," Kabila told reporters on 13 September. Kananga is the main town in the province.

"The situation is at the moment, I cannot say under control, but at least the problem has been contained very well in the area," he said. "There is no risk that the whole country will be affected," said Kabila.

Health experts had been deployed to Kananga on 12 September, the health minister, Victor Makwenge Kaput, said.

This followed the analysis of blood samples from five infected people at the referral laboratory in Franceville, Gabon, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in the USA, and the national institute for biomedical research (l'Institut national de récherche bio-medicale), which confirmed the outbreak of the Ebola haemorrhagic fever.

According to Kaput, the crisis committee, made up of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the CDC, was conducting investigations to confirm whether all the deaths had been caused by the Ebola virus after cases of shingles and dysentery were confirmed.

More doctors needed

After the arrival of CDC health experts, local health personnel numbers in the affected areas were boosted, but Kaput said more doctors, epidemiologists, nurses and medical supplies were needed to isolate all suspected cases.

"It is necessary that we continue with the action on the ground," said Kaput, who is also coordinating aid donations from WHO and other partners.

A health team from South Africa is also expected to join the control operation.

Meanwhile, Kaput said an evaluation would be carried out to determine how the epidemic evolved, with two new cases being detected in Kananga, 100km to the southeast.

One of the suspected cases was that of a trader from Mweka, one of the worst affected parts of the province.

At least 395 people, including the fatalities, have been affected in the province, according to the provincial health inspector, Jean-Constantin Kanow.

ei/aw/cb/mw


Related articles


  1. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  2. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  3. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  4. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  5. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  6. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  7. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  8. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  9. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  10. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  11. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  12. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  13. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  14. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)
  15. Kabila Names Finance Minister as New Prime Minister (April 19, 2012)
  16. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  17. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  18. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  19. DR Congo's Government Resigns (March 6, 2012)
  20. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  21. Kabila Is Open to Dialogue with Tshisekedi, Government Spokesman Says (February 22, 2012)
  22. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  23. Cardinal Monsengwo to Lead Annual Spiritual Exercises in the Vatican (February 11, 2012)
  24. Kabila's Party Loses Seats in Parliament, Increasing Reliance on Allies (February 3, 2012)
  25. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  26. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  27. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  28. In Inauguration Speech, Kabila Vows to Speed Up Modernization (December 21, 2011)
  29. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  30. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.