Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN reports security improvement with many militia groups demobilizing

Previous article | Next

UN News Service - December 20, 2006 11:03 PM

 Security in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has improved, with numerous militia groups joining the United Nations-run disarmament programme, and calm returning in the east after fighting between the Congolese Army and partisans of a rogue general, the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC) reported today.

"The good progress made in the DDR [disarmament, demobilization and reintegration] process has had a positive impact on the improvement of the general security situation in the DRC, with 4,896 militia surrenders between the month of June and the start of December," MONUC military spokesman Lt. Col. Didier Rancher told a news conference in Kinshasa, the capital.

The positive news came just two weeks after President Joseph Kabila was sworn in following the first democratic elections in the strife-torn country in more than 40 years, the largest and most complex elections that the UN has ever helped to organize.

The polls crowned a seven-year UN effort to bring peace and democracy to the vast country after a brutal six-year civil war that cost 4 million lives through fighting and attendant hunger and disease, widely considered the most lethal conflict in the world since World War II. Factional fighting has remained a problem, especially in the east.

"MONUC welcomes what one could call a 'general tendency' in the area of surrenders and demobilization, which will reduce considerably the tension and unease in the provinces," Lt. Col. Didier Rancher. "In this sense, a framework of engagement was signed by the dissident leaders on December 14 and 15."

In Ituri and Kivu provinces hundreds of militia members joined the DDR process just this week. In North Kivu, at a UN-brokered meeting with Congolese military leaders, commanders loyal to rogue General Laurent Nkunda, who launched an attack near the town of sake last month, agreed to ensure total freedom of movement for civilians as well as an imminent withdrawal of his fighters from occupied areas in the province.

MONUC welcomed the fact that Gen. Nkunda was now at the negotiating table. A second meeting between the Army and Gen. Nkunda's dissidents is scheduled for next week. UN peacekeepers backed by attack helicopters intervened on the side of the army last month to stall the advance of his troops on the provincial capital, Goma.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported today that the fighting there had forced 65,000 people to flee the town of Sake and other localities.

The UN Rapid Response Mechanism, which OCHA operates jointly with the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), aided 35,000 people with blankets, plastic sheeting and cooking sets.

Water and sanitation services have also been provided, including the construction of latrines and distribution of chlorination tablets. Another 20,000 people received food aid from the UN World Food Programme (WFP).


Related articles


  1. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  2. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  3. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  4. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  5. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  6. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  7. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  8. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  9. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  10. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  11. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  12. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  17. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  18. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  19. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  20. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  21. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  22. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  23. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  24. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  25. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)
  26. Kabila Names Finance Minister as New Prime Minister (April 19, 2012)
  27. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  28. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  29. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  30. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.