Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Voting begins, marking completion of long democratic transition

Previous article | Next



Click here to enlarge image
©  Independent Electoral Commission (CEI)

Joseph Kabila, 35, who won 44.8 percent of the first round presidential vote on 30 July.

KINSHASA, 29 Oct 2006 (IRIN) - Voting began on Sunday in the Democratic Republic of Congo in a presidential run-off marking the official completion of a transition from war to peace that began in 2003.

Incumbent President Joseph Kabila, 35, and Jean-Pierre Bemba, 44, had swept aside a field of 33 candidates in the first round on 30 July. Kabila won 44.8 percent of the vote and Bemba 20 percent. A candidate needed to garner 51 percent plus one vote to be declared the outright winner in the first round. The winner of the second round will be decided by a simple majority.

There are 50,045 polling stations open, according to the chairman of the Independent Electoral Commission, Apollinaire Malumalu. Each office will count their ballots, then the voting papers will be transported to compilation centres and the provisional results announced.

In the run-up to this round, the country has been tense and there have been several incidents of violence between Kabila's and Bemba's bodyguards. The most sensitive area of contention is the capital, Kinshasa, where on 20 August two days of fighting broke out between Kabila's guards and those of Bemba. International institutions supporting the transition to democracy in the DRC intervened to reduce tensions.

The DRC, endowed with considerable mineral resources, making it potentially Africa's wealthiest nation, has had a turbulent political history. For five years, it experienced a civil war that eventually involved several African countries, some fighting against the government of the time.

The war, in which Kabila and Bemba took part as combatants, killed four million people, mostly through hunger and disease, and displaced five million. This has presented the country with a huge humanitarian challenge. During their 15-day campaign to the run-off, both presidential candidates expressed their determination to end this tragedy by restoring order to the country.

"There are five priorities for the rectification of the country after the elections, but the priority of priorities is security," Kabila told reporters at a news conference on Friday.

In a separate news conference on Thursday, Bemba said: "Without safety we will not be able to do anything. If elected, our first action will be to restore security."


Jean-Pierre Bemba, 44, runner up in the first round ballot on 30 July, with 20 percent of the vote.


Bemba and his aides have said that if elected, he would first disband the remaining Congolese militias and expel all foreign fighters from the country.

"If obliged to help them return to their countries he will utilise robust methods," Moise Musangana, the spokesman for Bemba's Mouvement de libération du Congo, said.

Bemba has said the presence of armed Congolese and foreigners has been the main reason for the continued displacement of at least one million people in the country.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the DRC has said that four million of the five million people displaced during the war had been resettled. The majority of them are in the east of the country.

Since 2002, nearly 17,000 primarily Rwandan fighters and their dependents have been repatriated voluntarily, under a scheme supervised by the UN Mission to the DRC. Despite this, nearly 15,000 foreign armed combatants are still present in the east and northeast of the country. A small number are Ugandan and Burundian rebels but most are former Rwandan army troops. Known as the ex-FAR, they and their Interahamwe militia allies are accused of instigating the 1994 Rwandan genocide. They have been operating in the east of the country where they have been accused of violence, theft and rape.

Kabila said during his news conference that this problem had almost been solved and the government controlled 99.9 percent of the country. However, he said, it was necessary to build a republican army - one that represented all peoples of the country.

Efforts to achieve this have been slow. Since the beginning of this initiative in June, only 14 brigades - each comprising 3,500 men - have been formed. It was hoped to have 18 brigades ready before the elections.

Kabila and Bemba said if elected they would complete the process speedily.

The brigades, comprising former rival factions, have been deployed to the troublesome Ituri District in the northeast where an armed group created in June 2005, called the Mouvement des volontaires congolais, formed from an alliance of various militiamen who refused to disband and be integrated into the national army, have maintained hostilities. At least 16,500 combatants of six armed groups and militia - transformed into political parties or disarmed - are awaiting integration into the regular army.

These Ituri militia have been fighting since 1999, leading to the deaths of at least 50,000 and the displacement of hundreds of thousands more, according to NGOs.

In the southeastern province of Katanga, militia previously supported by the government have resisted government disarmament efforts. The militias have continued to attack civilians, causing hundreds of thousands to flee. The army this year launched an operation to disarm and disband them.

Kabila and Bemba have both said that apart from integrating the military they would rebuild dilapidated barracks and other military infrastructure dating to the colonial period 46 years ago. In 1960, the police numbered 50,000 men but today this has tripled without a corresponding increase in facilities.

Both have also said they would fight against impunity, corruption and bad governance. They said fighting poverty would remain a priority by creating jobs.
[On the Net: Countdown in the Congo http://www.irinnews.org/drcelection.asp]

ei/oss/mw



Related articles


  1. At least 60 killed as train derails in Katanga province (April 23, 2014)
  2. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  3. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  4. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  5. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  6. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  7. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  8. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  9. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  10. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  11. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  12. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  13. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  14. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  15. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  16. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  17. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  18. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  19. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  20. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  21. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  22. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)
  23. Kabila Names Finance Minister as New Prime Minister (April 19, 2012)
  24. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  25. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  26. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  27. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  28. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  29. DR Congo's Government Resigns (March 6, 2012)
  30. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.